COWLAM, a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 2 miles (N. E.) from Sledmere; containing 44 inhabitants. This place, which appears to have been formerly a large village or town of some importance, is the property of the Rev. T. F. F. Bowes, to whose brother, General Bowes, killed at the head of his brigade in Spain, after being severely wounded at the storming of Badajos, a monument was voted by parliament, and erected in the Cathedral of St. Paul, London. The parish comprises by computation 2200 acres, of which about 300 are pasture, and 100 woodland. The surface is very irregular, and intersected with deep valleys of romantic character; the soil is chalky, with some portions containing flints, but generally producing good crops. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 11. 3.; net income, £30; patron and incumbent, the Rev. T. F. F. Bowes. The church contains a curious ancient font.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.