ACKLAM-IN-CLEVELAND, a parish, in the union of Stockton-upon-Tees, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Stockton; containing 97 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road from Stokesley to Stockton, and bounded on the west by the river Tees, includes parts of the townships of Linthorpe and Ayresome, and comprises an area of about 1050 acres; the surface is varied, but generally flat. The soil in the eastern portion is clay, and in the western sandy; the lands are nearly all arable, and in good cultivation. The Stockton and Middlesborough railway passes through the parish. Acklam Hall has been lately re-fronted, and is a spacious and handsome mansion of brick, pleasantly situated in grounds well laid out, and ornamented with plantations. The village is on the road side. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, the appropriator, and has a net income of £44: the church, which had become dilapidated, was rebuilt in 1772, and is a neat structure, covered with Westmorland blue slates.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.