Countisbury (St. John the Baptist)
COUNTISBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwell, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 15½ miles (E. by N.) from Ilfracombe; containing 185 inhabitants, and comprising 3227 acres, whereof about 2000 are common or waste. This parish, which is situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel, and near the junction of the counties of Devon and Somerset, is bounded for some miles on the south and west by the small, rapid, river Lyn. The spring tides here rise to the height of 30 feet. The scenery is of bold and rugged character, softened occasionally by woodland and pastures. Stone of good quality is abundant, and is quarried for the use of the immediate neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Linton: the tithes have been commuted for £105, and the glebe comprises 14 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.