COTTON, ABBOTS, a township, in the parish of Christleton, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Chester; containing 15 inhabitants. The manor of this place, anciently called Cotes, was given by the baron of Malpas, about 1093, to the convent of St. Werburgh. Some time after the Dissolution it was the property of the Smiths of the Hough, from whom it passed to various families. The township comprises 299 acres, of a clayey soil.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.