Cottenham (All Saints)
COTTENHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chesterton, locally in Northstow hundred, county of Cambridge, 6¾ miles (N.) from Cambridge; containing 1833 inhabitants. This place was the residence of the monks sent here by Geoffrey, Abbot of Crowland, and who first established a regular course of academical education at Cambridge. The village was nearly destroyed in 1676 by an accidental fire, which consumed more than two-thirds of the buildings. The parish comprises by measurement 7037 acres. The Adventurers' land, chiefly inclosed from the river Ouse and the common adjoining, was sometimes subject to inundation, but in consequence of late improvements, this has been in a great measure prevented; acts for inclosing other lands, and for draining certain fen land and low ground in the parish, were passed in 1842. The dairies, which are numerous, are famed for producing excellent cheese. A branch of the Ouse passes near the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £36. 15., and in the gift of the Bishop of Ely: the tithes have been commuted for £765, and the glebe comprises 133 acres. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. A school was founded in 1703, by Mrs. Catharine Pepys, who gave a house, and £100 to purchase land; and it has several other small endowments. This is the birthplace of Archbishop Tenison, who died in 1715. Charles Christopher Pepys, lord high chancellor, was raised to the peerage by the title of Baron Cottenham, Jan. 16th, 1836.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.