Coton (St. Peter)
COTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Wetherley, county of Cambridge, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Cambridge; containing 307 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 12. 11.; net income, £213; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Catherine Hall, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1799. Dr. Andrew Downes, Greek professor at Cambridge, and translator of the Apocrypha, died here in 1627.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.