Corse (St. Margaret)
CORSE (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Newent, Lower division of the hundred of Westminster, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Gloucester; containing 482 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by measurement 1901 acres of land, is beautifully situated on the road from Gloucester to Ledbury, and has been improved by the inclosure of upwards of 1300 acres, that anciently abounded with wood, and were called "Corse Lawn." Stone is quarried for the building of cottages and the repair of roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £443. The glebe consists of 5½ acres, with a glebe-house. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and a sum of about £20 per annum, derived from land, is applied to charitable purposes.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.