COPFORD, a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Witham division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Colchester; containing 645 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Colchester, and comprises a very irregular area, about thirteen miles in circumference. The lands are generally low, in some parts undulated, and the soil is gravelly, producing fair average crops; the scenery is in general pleasing, and enlivened with several fine sheets of water. The manor was the property of the bishops of London from a remote period till the time of the Conquest. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £660, and the glebe comprises 74 acres, with a glebehouse. The church, an ancient structure, is principally of Norman architecture; the walls are of unusual thickness, and the chancel is circular. Bonner, Bishop of London, who was lord of the manor, resided for a considerable time at Copford Hall.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.