Compton-Vallence (St. Thomas à Becket)
COMPTON-VALLENCE (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, liberty of Frampton, Dorchester division of Dorset, 7Â¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Dorchester; containing 116 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1500 acres: the village, which is situated on the banks of a small stream, appears to have been formerly more extensive than it is at present. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at Â£12. 5. 2Â½., and in the gift of Robert Williams, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for Â£237, and the glebe comprises 100 acres. The church, rebuilt in 1839, at the cost of the patron, is a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the windows are embellished with stained glass. The rectory-house has been rebuilt in a corresponding style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.