Compton-Pauncefoot (St. Mary)
COMPTON-PAUNCEFOOT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Wincanton; containing 256 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road to Exeter, comprises 670a. 1r. 32p.: stone of good quality is quarried for building and other purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 10. 10., and in the gift of the Heirs of John H. Hunt, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £175, and the glebe comprises about 35 acres of land. The church is a neat small edifice, with a tower surmounted by a neat spire.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.