Compton-Dundon (St. Andrew)
COMPTON-DUNDON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Langport, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (N.) from Somerton; containing, with the tythings of Compton and Dundon, and the hamlet of Littleton, 679 inhabitants, of whom 355 are in Compton tything. It comprises 2568 acres, of which 1146 are arable, 1289 pasture, and 133 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 10.; net income, £201; patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church stands in the village of Dundon. The ruins of a mansion that formerly belonged to the family of Beauchamp adjoin the churchyard. An adjacent hill is called Dundon Beacon, from a beacon having anciently stood on it.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.