Compton (St. Mary)
COMPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Westbourne, hundred of Westbourne and Singleton, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 10 miles (N. W.) from Chichester; containing 274 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the county of Southampton, and the village is situated on one of the roads from Petersfield to Chichester. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a small portion of the rectorial tithes, with the living of Up-Marden annexed, and valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; patron, and impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, M. R. Langdale, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £130, and the vicarial for £131; the glebe comprises 4 acres. The church is in the early and decorated English styles, and contains some neat monuments to the families of Peckham and Phipps. Edward Flower, in 1521, founded a free grammar school, with an endowment of £100 to be laid out in land; Thomas Pelham gave £80, with a rent-charge of £20, and in 1528, William Spicer conveyed lands in furtherance of the charity, the total income of which amounts to £28.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.