Comb-Rawleigh (St. Nicholas)
COMB-RAWLEIGH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Axminster, Honiton and S. divisions of Devon, 1½ mile (N. N. W.) from Honiton; containing 276 inhabitants. This parish, which is separated from that of Honiton by the river Otter, comprises 1740a. 3r. 2p., and is intersected by the old road to Taunton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 0. 10., and in the gift of E. Simeon Drewe, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 40 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains a monument to the memory of John Sheldon, Esq., F.R.S., and anatomical professor, who died in 1808.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.