COMBEINTEIGNHEAD, a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Wonford, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (E.) from Newton-Bushell; containing 425 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the navigable river Teign, by which it is bounded on the north, and comprises 1950 acres, whereof 320 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 2. 8½., and in the gift of J. W. Harding and W. Long, Esqrs.: the tithes have been commuted for £350, and the glebe comprises 42 acres, with a glebe-house. The church contains an ancient wooden screen. The church-house, now occupied by the poor, is of very early foundation. A school was founded by Margaret Burgoyne, in 1783, with an endowment of £100 stock.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.