Coln St. Denis
COLN ST. DENIS, a parish, in the union of Northleach, Upper division of the hundred of Deerhurst, though locally in the hundred of Bradley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Northleach; containing 200 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-west by the river Coln, and on the northwest by the old Roman Fosse-way; and comprises by computation 1800 acres, of which the soil is light and stony, and the surface hilly: stone is quarried for common buildings, and the repair of roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 4½.; net income, £450; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, in 1797; the glebe contains 70 acres, with a glebe-house.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.