Anstey, West (St. Petrock)
ANSTEY, WEST (St. Petrock), a parish, in the union and hundred of South Molton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (W.) from Dulverton; containing 279 inhabitants, and comprising 3008 acres, of which 1036 are common or waste. Here are some quarries of stone for building. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 16. 8.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The great tithes have been commuted for £76. 17., and the vicarial for £112; the glebe consists of 37½ acres. The church is a substantial edifice with a tower, and is in good repair.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.