Coker, West (St. Martin)
COKER, WEST (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Houndsborough, Barwick, and Coker, W. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Yeovil; containing 1046 inhabitants, and consisting of about 1300 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 19. 7.; patron, R. Raven, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £425, and the glebe comprises 17 acres, with a glebe-house. The church has been enlarged, by the addition of 316 sittings. There is a school, endowed with the interest of a bequest of £100; also almshouses for five persons, founded about 1719, pursuant to the will of William Ruddock.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.