DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Acconbury, or Acornbury (St. John the Baptist)

ACCONBURY, or Acornbury (St. John The Baptist), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S.) from Hereford; containing 158 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1590 acres by computation, and is intersected by the old road from Ross to Hereford, and on its western side by that between Hereford and Monmouth. A nunnery of the order of St. Augustine was founded here, in the reign of John, by Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy, to the honour of the Holy Cross; the revenue, at the Dissolution, was £75. 7. 5¼. The remains have been converted into a farmhouse, but some stone coffins are still preserved. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patrons, the Governors of Guy's Hospital, London. The vaults of the church contain the ashes of many illustrious persons, among whom are the first duke of Chandos, and an earl of Carnarvon. On the summit of Acconbury hill, celebrated for its fine plantations and its drives, are traces of a large Roman encampment, the rampart of which, on the east side, is plainly discernible.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement