Codsall (St. Nicholas)
CODSALL (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union, and S. division of the hundred, of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 5 miles (N. W.) from Wolverhampton; containing, with the township of Oaken, 1096 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2869 acres, whereof 1568 are in Codsall township; the soil is loamy; about one-third pasture, and the rest arable: stone is quarried for building. The road from Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury passes along the south-western boundary. The village is picturesquely seated on an eminence, and there are several neat villas. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £146; patron, Lord Wrottesley; impropriator, the Duke of Sutherland, whose tithes have been commuted for £172. 13. 6. The church is a handsome edifice, consisting of a chancel and north aisle, separated by very fine pointed arches; the chancel contains a monument, erected in 1630, on which rests a recumbent effigy of Walter Wrottesley. There is a place of worship for Independents. A school was founded in 1716, by Dorothy Derby; and a national school is supported by subscription. Two sulphureous springs here, are much used; one, remarkably situated in Codsall wood, issues from the stump of an oak-tree, which forms the basin.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.