UK Genealogy Archives logo

Coat-Yards

COAT-YARDS, a township, in the chapelry of Nether Witton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, and N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Rothbury; containing 20 inhabitants. The families of Fenwick, Robinson, and Turner, have held lands here; the first-named appears to have possessed the place shortly after the Dissolution, when the crown obtained it from the abbey of Newminster. The township comprises by computation 235 acres, and is a bleak unsheltered plain, destitute of wood.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.