Coaley (St. Bartholomew)
COALEY (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Dursley; containing 979 inhabitants. It comprises 2463 acres, of which 1900 are pasture, 300 arable, 90 woodland, and 81 common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, S. Jones, Esq. Tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1801; and under the recent act, impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £56. 14., and vicarial for one of £300. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.