Clutton (St. Augustine)
CLUTTON (St. Augustine), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Chew, E. division of Somerset, 3¼ miles (S. by E.) from Pensford; containing 1434 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 1671 acres by measurement, abounds with coal, and mines are worked to a considerable extent, affording employment to a very large portion of the population. There are also extensive quarries of stone for paving and building, and of limestone, and several kilns for burning lime; iron-ore is found in the coal-mines and in other places. The village, which is on the road from Bristol to Wells and Shepton-Mallet, is a polling-place for the Eastern division of the county. The powers of the county debtcourt of Clutton, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Clutton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 2., and in the gift of the Earl of Warwick: the tithes have been commuted for £308, and the glebe comprises 56 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the Norman style; between the nave and chancel is a highly enriched arch. There are places of worship for Methodists and Independents; and a school, founded in 1728, is endowed with £20 per annum. The poor law union comprises 29 parishes or places, and contains a population of 25,046. In the vicinity are vestiges of an ancient fortification, called Highbury, where British weapons and Roman coins have been found.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.