Clist-Hydon (St. Andrew)
CLIST-HYDON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Cliston, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Cullompton; containing 325 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1726 acres, of which 950 are arable, 627 pasture, and 30 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Huyshe: the tithes have been commuted for £350, and the glebe contains 86 acres. A school is endowed with about £20 per annum, principally from a bequest by Robert Hall, D.D., in 1667.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.