Clifton (All Saints)
CLIFTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Biggleswade, hundred of Clifton, county of Bedford, 1½ mile (E. by N.) from Shefford; containing 865 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1450 acres, of which about 200 are pasture; the surface is generally level, and the soil in some parts clay, in others gravel. The river Ivel flows through the parish, and is navigable to Shefford. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 2. 11.; net income, £439; patron and incumbent, the Rev. D. J. Olivier. The church contains some monumental brasses, and a fine altartomb in memory of Sir Michael Fisher, lord of the manor, who died in 1549. A school was founded and endowed in 1827, by the Rev. D. S. Olivier, late rector.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.