Claydon, Steeple (St. Michael)
CLAYDON, STEEPLE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 5½ miles (W.) from Winslow; containing 849 inhabitants. At the period of the Conquest, this was the most populous place in the hundred; in an adjoining wood, an earthen vessel filled with coins of Carausius and Alectus, has been discovered. The living is a vicarage, with that of East Claydon annexed, valued in the king's books at £13. 3. 9.; net income, £300; patron, Sir Harry Verney, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent in 1795. Thomas Chaloner, in 1656, built a school, and endowed it with £12 per annum; but the gift has long been lost.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.