Clatworthy (St. Mary)
CLATWORTHY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (N. W.) from Wiveliscombe; containing 309 inhabitants. It is situated on the small river Tone, which falls into the Bristol Channel at Bridgwater, in confluence with the river Parret; the number of acres is 2943, whereof 280 are or were common and waste. The soil is tolerably fertile, and has a substratum of clay-slate, interspersed with white flint or quartz: slate for roofing was formerly quarried. An act for inclosing lands was passed in 1842. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 5., and in the gift of G. W. Carew, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £268, and the glebe comprises 93 acres. The church is a very ancient structure. There is an encampment about 14 acres in extent, but whether of Roman or British origin is not clearly known.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.