Clacton, Little (St. James)
CLACTON, LITTLE (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 12½ miles (E. S. E.) from Colchester; containing 547 inhabitants. It forms part of a small district mentioned in the Norman survey under the name Clackintuna; the lands are low, and of a great portion of them the soil is strong and heavy. The village is pleasantly situated round a small green, on which a fair is held on the 25th of July. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; patron and impropriator, F. Nassau, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £612. 10., and the vicarial for £156; the glebe comprises nearly 3 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a small edifice, with a turret of wood.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.