ANDERTON, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Northwich, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Northwich; containing 331 inhabitants. The manor was held at an early period by the family of Lostock, from whom Urian de St. Pierre, who died seised of it in 1286, had obtained it by gift. It afterwards passed to the Cokeseys, Grevilles, and Suttons, and in 1600 was purchased of the last-named family by Sir Peter Warburton, whose daughter and heiress brought it in marriage to the Stanleys, of Alderley. The township comprises 495 acres; the soil is partly clay and partly sand. It is intersected by the river Weaver, on the northern bank of which there is an almost uninterrupted line of salt-works: the Grand Trunk canal also passes through.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.