CHOLMONDELEY, a township, in the parish of Malpas, union of Nantwich, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 7½ miles (W.) from Nantwich; containing 260 inhabitants. Cholmondeley House was garrisoned in 1643, by 400 royalists, who, in the month of April, were attacked and defeated by the parliamentary troops from Nantwich, losing 50 men and 600 horses; it was afterwards recaptured by the royalists, who were driven from it again on the 30th of June, 1644. The present splendid seat of the Marquess of Cholmondeley, about half a mile from the former house, was begun in 1801, and completed in 1804; a chapel, to which the tenants may resort, is attached to it. The township comprises 1691 acres; the soil is clay, with a little sand. The tithes of the township, with those of Bickley, Bulkeley, and Larkton, have been commuted for £342 payable to the impropriators, and £32. 8. to the rector of Malpas.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.