Chillington (St. James)
CHILLINGTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Chard, hundred of South Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Crewkerne; containing 321 inhabitants. It is situated in a beautiful valley, to the north of the great London road, and comprises 882a. 1r. 1p., of which 27 acres are common or waste. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £60; patron and impropriator, Earl Poulett, whose tithes have been commuted for £237.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.