Ampney, or Ashbrook (St. Mary the Virgin)
AMPNEY, or Ashbrook (St. Mary the Virgin), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (E.) from Cirencester; containing 121 inhabitants. It is situated on the southern side of the road from Fairford to Cirencester; and has good quarries of limestone for building. The living is a perpetual curacy: net income, £72, derived from 57 acres of land; patron and impropriator, Col. Beach. The church stands at a distance from the village, and is a small structure.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.