CHESELBORNE, a parish, in the union of Cerne, hundred of Whiteway, Cerne division of Dorset, 10½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Blandford-Forum; containing 346 inhabitants. It comprises about 2580 acres, chiefly arable and pasture land; 622 acres are common or waste: the surface is hilly, and the soil, which is watered by three small streams, in general chalky. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 10. 5.; net income, £254; patron, Lord Rivers. The glebe contains 40 acres, with a glebe-house. In the churchyard is an ancient stone cross.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.