Cheriton (St. Michael)
CHERITON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Alresford, hundred of Fawley, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Alresford; containing, with the tything of Beaworth, 709 inhabitants. This parish participated in the conflicts of the civil war, and a battle took place here, called the battle of Alresford. It is situated on the road from Winchester to Petersfield, and comprises 2980 acres, the soil of which is in general chalky; 135 acres are common or waste. The living is a rectory, with Kilmeston and Titchbourn livings annexed, valued in the king's books at £66. 2. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes of Cheriton and Beaworth have been commuted for £625. 10., and the glebe comprises 160 acres, with a glebe-house. The church was erected in 1745.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.