Cheddon-Fitzpaine (St. Mary Magdalene)
CHEDDON-FITZPAINE (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Taunton; containing 357 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Tone, by which it is bounded on the south; and the Taunton and Bridgwater canal passes through: it comprises by measurement 945 acres, of which about 538 are arable, 327 meadow, and 43 orchard. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. F. Warre: the tithes have been commuted for £325, and the glebe comprises 89 acres, with a glebe-house. A school is supported by some small bequests.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.