Charleton, Queen (St. Margaret)
CHARLETON, QUEEN (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Pensford; containing 190 inhabitants. This parish obtained its distinguishing appellation from having been settled on Catherine Parr, Queen of Henry VIII. The salubrity of the air made it a place of considerable resort, particularly in 1574, when the plague swept away 2000 persons at Bristol. The parish comprises 952 acres: the road to Bath formerly intersected the village. A fair, granted by Elizabeth, on her progress through the place, in 1573, is held on the 20th of July. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the patronage of Miss Dickenson, to whom also the impropriation belongs; net income, £48. In 1760, Mary Freeman left £500, producing £25 per annum, for clothing and teaching twenty boys.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.