Chardstock (St. Andrew)
CHARDSTOCK (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Axminster, hundred of Beaminster, Bridport division of Dorset, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Chard; containing 1405 inhabitants. The parish comprises 5800 acres, of which 1018 are common or waste. It is intersected by the road from Bristol to Lyme Regis, and by that from Chard to Honiton; and is bounded on the south-east by the river Axe. Limestone is quarried, and burnt chiefly for manure. Great quantities of cider are made. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury, and valued in the king's books at £14. 2. 6.; impropriator, and lord of the manor, Lord Henley. The great tithes have been commuted for £490, and the vicarial for £490; the impropriate glebe consists of 65 acres, and the vicarial contains about an acre, with a glebe-house. The church, rebuilt in 1839, is a handsome structure in the later English style: the pulpit is of stone, and the altar-screen, also of stone, is richly carved, and embellished with canopied niches: the windows of the chancel are of painted glass. A district called All Saints was formed in 1841, and attached to a chapel at the southern extremity of the parish; it comprises a population of about 400 persons, half of whom reside in this parish, and half in that of Axminster. The chapel was consecrated April 23rd, 1840: Robert Williams, Esq., presented an elegant service of communion-plate. The income of the living, which is a perpetual curacy, was augmented in 1842 to £80 per annum by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.