Alvington, West (All Saints)
ALVINGTON, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 1 mile (W. S. W.) from Kingsbridge; containing 998 inhabitants. It comprises 3676 acres; the surface is very hilly, the soil chiefly arable, and a large quantity of peculiarly fine cider is made. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacies of South Huish, Malborough, and South Milton annexed, valued in the king's books at £62. 16. 10½.; net income, £685; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The glebe comprises 2 acres here, and 1½ in each of the parishes of Malborough and South Milton. The church contains some good screen-work in carved oak, and a beautiful monument to a member of the Bastard family, whose ancient seat has been converted into a farmhouse.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.