Caulk, or Calke (St. Giles)
The parish comprises by measurement 900 acres. Quarries of limestone, in which, occasionally, much lead is found, are extensively wrought; and large quantities of the stone are burnt into lime, for the conveyance of which facility is afforded by the Swannington railway, to Ashby and Leicester, and by canal to other places. A handsome and substantial stone mansion, of the Grecian order, called The Abbey, has been erected amidst the remains of the conventual buildings, the walls of which are still found in the pleasure-grounds and garden; the house stands in an extensive park, well wooded, varied in its surface, and amply stocked with deer. The living is a peculiar; Sir John Harpur Crewe is patron and impropriator, and allows the minister £100 per annum. The church is a neat edifice in the early English style, built, on a former site, by the late Sir George Crewe in 1830. The poor are eligible to the hospital at Tickenhall, founded by Charles Harpur, Esq., in 1770.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.