CASSOP, a township, in the parish of Kelloe, S. division of Easington ward, union and N. division of the county of Durham, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Durham; containing 1076 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Cazhope, and included within the limits of Queringdonshire, was formerly the residence of the family of Reed, and of that of Busby, and is at present held under the see of Durham. The village stands, with a northern aspect, on a high swell of limestone hills, separated from Quarrington on the south by a broad hollow vale, and commanding an extensive prospect of a variegated tract in the north-western direction. The produce of Cassop and Cassop-moor collieries is shipped at Hartlepool. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £104. 18. 8., payable to Christ's Hospital, Sherburn, and the vicarial for £17. 4.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.