Cardinham (St. Mewbred)
CARDINHAM (St. Mewbred), a parish, in the union of Bodmin, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 3¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Bodmin; containing 802 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Fowey, and comprises about 7750 acres, of which 2604 are common or waste. The surface consists of extensive plains, intersected by deep valleys, of which the bottoms are traversed by numerous streams, and the slopes clothed with oak-coppices to the extent of several hundreds of acres: the soil rests principally on slate, and small quantities of copper, tin, and lead, have been found. Towards the north-eastern extremity of the parish are two large granite tors, or groups of rocks; one named St. Bellarmine's Tor, and the other, Corner-Quoit Stone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 17. 8½., and in the presentation of the Vivian family: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and there is a rent-charge of £50 on coppices and other woodlands; likewise a good glebe-house, with nearly 200 acres of land. At a copious spring called Holy Well, and also on Bellarmine's Tor, and at a place named Vale, are remains of ancient chapels. Here was once a castle, the residence of the Dinham family, of which only the circular intrenchment is remaining; and on some high ground is a similar intrenchment, comprehending an area of two acres, called Berry Castle.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.