CARDEN, a township, in the parish of Tilston, union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from Malpas; containing 233 inhabitants. It comprises 617 acres, of a sandy soil. The village lies about a mile north of Tilston. A detachment of dragoons from the parliamentary garrison at Nantwich, on the 12th of June, 1643, plundered Carden Hall, and made its owner, John Leche, Esq., a prisoner.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.