Candover, Preston (St. Mary)
CANDOVER, PRESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Bermondspit, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Alresford; containing 481 inhabitants. It comprises 3150a. 1r. 24p. Facilities of conveyance are afforded by the Basingstoke canal. The living is a discharged vicarage, with Nutley annexed, valued in the king's books at £18; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester, the appropriators of Preston-Candover; impropriator of Nutley, G. P. Jervoise, Esq. The vicarial tithes of the united parishes have been commuted for £202, and the appropriate tithes of Preston-Candover for £201; the glebe comprises 16 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.