Camerton (St. Peter)
CAMERTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Wellow, E. division of Somerset, 7 miles (S. W. by S.) from Bath; containing 1647 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1810 acres; the Somersetshire coal canal crosses it, and an old Roman fosse-way traces its south-eastern boundary. Here is a coal-mine, where impressions of fern, rushes, and other plants, have been dicovered. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 9. 2.; patron, John Jarrett, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £408, and the glebe consists of 53 acres. There are meeting-houses for Baptists and Wesleyans. Various relics of the Britons, Romans, and Saxons, have been found in the vicinity.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.