CAMBO, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 11½ miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 99 inhabitants. The township comprises 630 acres, of which the greater part is rich pasture-land. The village is on the road from Hexham to Alnwick: there is a small subscription library. The tithes have been commuted for £17. 10. payable to the impropriator, and £19 to the vicar of Hartburn. A district chapel has been built, the living of which is in the gift of the Vicar. Launcelot Brown, the landscape gardener, received his early education here. In the village are the ruins of a peel-house, or fortalice.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.