CALDWELL, a township, in the parish of Stanwick St. John, union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 5¼ miles (E.) from Greta-Bridge; containing 209 inhabitants. This was formerly a place of much greater importance than it is at present. The township comprises by computation 2000 acres, the soil of which is light and fertile: the Tees flows on the north, at the distance of about three miles from the village. A chapel of ease has been built. A Roman military road passed through the township, and a variety of coins have been found in the vicinity.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.