CALDER-BRIDGE, a hamlet, in the parish of Beckermet, St. Bridget, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (S. E.) from Egremont. This place owes its origin and name to a bridge over the river Calder; and is celebrated for the remains of an abbey founded for Cistercian monks, by Ralph de Meschines, second earl of Chester and Cumberland, in 1134, in honour of the Virgin Mary, and the revenue of which, at the suppression, was £64. 3. 9. The beautiful ruins are situated in a sequestered and well-wooded vale, and consist principally of part of the transepts of the church, and a tower. The chapel here was rebuilt in 1841.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.