Calbourn (All Saints)
CALBOURN (All Saints), a parish, in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Newport; containing, with the chapelry of Newton, 750 inhabitants. The parish derives its name from the beautiful stream by which it is intersected: it comprises 5370 acres, whereof 200 are common or waste; the surface is varied, and the scenery abounds with interest. Stone of very durable quality is extensively quarried for building purposes, for which it is in great repute. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 12. 8½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £660, and the glebe comprises 80½ acres. The church is a handsome structure in the early English style, and contains an ancient tomb, inlaid with brass, representing a knight in complete armour, with his feet resting on a dog; considerable improvements were lately made. Dr. Fisher, Bishop of Salisbury, was a native of the parish, of which his father was rector.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.