Cadbury, South (St. Thomas à Becket)
CADBURY, SOUTH (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 4Â½ miles (S.) from Castle-Cary; containing 254 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at Â£10. 3. 1Â½., and in the patronage of James Bennett, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for Â£250, and there is a glebe of 29Â½ acres. Near the village are the remains of one of the most famous ancient fortifications in England: it was situated on the northern extremity of a ridge of hills, and was encircled by four trenches; its figure inclined to a square, but conforming to the slope of the hill; the area is upwards of thirty acres. A higher work within, surrounded by a trench, is called King Arthur's Palace: the rampart is composed of large stones covered with earth, with only one entrance, from the east, guarded by six or seven trenches. Numerous Roman coins have been discovered; and the origin of the place may, with much probability, be ascribed to that people.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.