Bury (Holy Cross)
BURY (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 12 miles (N. N. E.) from Huntingdon; containing 359 inhabitants. This place formed part of the possessions of Ramsey Abbey; and there is a strong stone bridge of two arches over a small branch of the river Nene, which is supposed to have been built by one of the abbots. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lady O. B. Sparrow, with a net income of £167: the tithes have been commuted for £140. A portion of land in the parish of Riseley, Bedfordshire, purchased by Queen Anne's Bounty, belongs to the living. The church is composed of the eastern part of a large cruciform edifice, and exhibits a mixture of Norman and early English architecture; the entrance to the chancel from the nave is under a carved wooden screen.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.