BURBAGE, a chapelry, in the parish of Aston-Flamville, union of Hinckley, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 1 mile (S. E.) from Hinckley; containing, with the hamlet of Sketchley, 1827 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Lutterworth to Hinckley and Market-Bosworth, and the Roman Watling-street bounds the chapelry on the south-west; it comprises 3057 acres, of which 1200 are arable, 79 woodland, and the rest pasture, common, &c. The manufacture of stockings is carried on to a considerable extent, about 800 persons being employed in it. The chapel, dedicated to St. Catharine, was recently built. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents. Mr. Canning resided for some time here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.